The Daniel Davenport Homestead
Creswell, Washington Co, NC
Owned & Operated by: The Historical Society of Washington Co NC
Contact: Loretta Phelps 252-797-4336 or Harry L Thompson 252-793-1377 for more information and hours of operation.
The 200 Anniversary of Washington Co, NC was kicked off at the Davenport House in Creswell, NC on June 5, 1999. This home has been restored to its original condition including all the furnishings and outbuildings.
The following is abstracted from the leaflet passed out at the Opening.
Daniel Daveportwas born (ca 1760) to William and Mary Elizabeth Davenport, of Tyrrel County, NC. He had two brothers, James and David and one sister, Mary. He married Sarah Nichols (ca 1770) in 1786. They were blessed with 5 daughters, Unice, Elizabeth, Priscilla, Nancy and Asenath.
His 2nd marriage was to Lucretia Comstock. The Davenport Land was divided among the five daughters after his death. Davenports lived on the land for over 200 years.
His occupation was listed as Farmer. He owned 1,211 acres of land. Part of it was from grants. He owned 996 acres in the Davenport Community north of the Scuppernong River (now known as Mt. Tabor). He raised cotton, corn, wheat, flax and tobacco. The homestead had oxen, mules, horses, hogs, chickens, geese, cattle, goats and sheep. Trapping was popular both for food and the hides. Wildlife was plentiful at that time.
There was also a Davenport School in the community. During this time children attended school only 3 months out of the year. They helped with farming the rest of the time.
Daniel served in the Revolution War: "State House of Representatives ordered that Daniel Davenport, a soldier in the 5th Regiment commanded by Col. Edward Buncombe, be discharged from his six months' Inlistment in the said Regiment, and which expired 21st. day of November last, provided that this order shall not prejudice any claim the officer may be able to make appear by indifferent testimony of any Inlistment for a longer time." (Colonial Records)
Daniel represented the newly formed Washington County in the NC Senate in 1800 and from 1803-1807. He died before taking office in 1808 and was replaced by Thomas Johnson.
He helped survey the division line between Washington and Tyrrell Co.
While in office, Daniel was instrumental in getting many bills passed concerning Washington County. Most noteworthy was a bill to authorize Ebenezer Pettigrew to erect a drawbridge across Scuppernong River at the landing of Dempsy Spruill. This bridge replaced the wooden bridge on the new road leading to the Mill on Lake Phelps. It had to be a drawbridge so that vessels could travel up the river to Cherry Landing with their goods.
This leaflet also contains a lot of information about the Davenport house itself. Contact the Historical Society for a copy of this leaflet.
Return to Davenport Name Index
[an error occurred while processing this directive]