The Broken Arrow Ledger
Broken Arrow, Indian Territory. (Tulsa Co, OK)
Vol 4 No 12
July 12, 1906 (Part 9)
Abstracted / Transcribed byLinda Haas Davenport
This issue is a special promotional issue, promoting the town of Broken Arrow. The photos are very dark. I don't know it if is possible to clean them up enough to post them in the Photo Gallery.
Page 4, Column 4
<Spanning columns 4 & 5 - Photo: J. A. Barth Mercantile Co>
J. A. BARTH MERCANTILE CO. A Commodious Department Store.When a homeseeker in this new southwest has found a place that just suits him to build his home and has builded it, then when he wants to furnish and equit it comfortably, suitably and quickly, it is no small pleasure for him, accompanied by his wife, to walk into a place like that of the J. A. Barth Mercantile Co.
Here is, for any new town, only three years old, a revelation. In two storerooms, one 130 feet deep, the other 90 feet, a half-tone engraving of which is given herein, they find a bewildering array of those useful as well as ornamental things that must be installed in the new home before it looks like the one left behind in the States. It is rather wonderful and certainly most convenient for the new-corners to find under one roof so large a proportion of those necessary things that go to make a house seem homelike. Not only is here to be found a vast and varied stock of furniture, stoves, carpets, rugs, cutlery, enamelware, etc., but also harness, saddles, guns - equipments alike for man and beast, and the thousand and one things that are needful in a new home.
Page 4, column 5
Mr. J. A. Barth; the proprietor of this large, well-known house, was born some forty years ago in St. Louis, and coming to Broken Arrow from Kansas City and starting in business in October, 1903, is one of the leading men and progressive spirits of this really marvelous little city. Mr. Barth is a business man of wide experience and training, having been formerly for a number of years associated in business with the celebrated and colossal house of the E. H. Moses Mercantile Co. of Great Bend, Kan. For ten years he was manager of the establishment at Claflin, Kan.
Last year Mr. Barth found it necessary to extend his building 70 feet in order to accommodate the growing volume of his trade and now has just completed another large structure, with brick and plate glass front alongside the present establishment, and thus enlarged, it makes one of the conspicuous department stores of this southwest country.
Page 4, Column 4
THE VARIETY STORE.As the name Implies, this growing institution is indeed a variety store. In it will be found a great variety of essential articles, all attractively displayed and carefully and wisely chosen for their adaptability to this locality. F. W. Braly, the genial manager of this institution, is a man of large experience and a straight business man.
Page 4, Column 4
THE FAIR.H. H. Jackson is proprietor of this store, which is a veritable wonderland of comparatively inexpensive articles of household convenience and necessity. During the few months that Mr. Jackson has conducted this store he has added largely to the stock and is striving in every manner possible to please the patrons of his house.
<Spanning Column 4 & 5 - Photo: Residence of Robert Fry>
ROBERT FRY.At first glance at the engraving presented herewith of an attractive home the reader is likely to not detect that it is the residence of a Creek Indian, but such is the fact. Robert Fry, the proprietor, was born near Lawrence, Kan., forty-two years ago, but has spent almost all of his life near his present home. The postoffice of Fry is on his premises and named in his honor. In his own right and the right of his family he has 960 acres of as valuable farm land as the sun shines over. He has a son and two daughters, whose mother is dead. On October 22 he was united in marriage to
Page 4, Column 5
Miss Cornelia Ratcliff, in Kansas city. The present Mrs. Fry is a white lady and taught the Fry school during the winter of 1904-5, and is a lady of refinement and intelligence. Mr. Fry has successfully filled various responsible positions under the Creek government, having been a member of the house of warriors four years, Creek national tax collector for eight years, and at the recent election was elected auditor of the nation, which position he will hold until March 4, when the Creek government will expire according to the provisions of a treaty between the Creek nation and the United States government.
<Spanning columns 4 & 5 - Photo: Residence of W H Ruth>
Page 6, Column 1
<Spanning columns 1 & 2 - Photo: First State Bank>
FIRST STATE BANK. A Growing Institution In a Handsome New Brick Home and a Credit to the City.
The opening of a new town in a new country at this late day is vastly different from that of but a few years since. All throughout Indian Territory one of the very first business institutions to be located in each new town, and especially if the embryonic town be surrounded by a promising country, is a banking institution. In this respect Broken Arrow, of course, was no exception.
The first banking house to open its doors for business in Broken Arrow was the First State Bank. Town lots had scarcely been placed on the market until this institution was organized and established. A location was chosen at the corner of Main street and Commercial avenue, and here a two story sheet iron structure, 25x50, was erected and the institution opened for business. It was incorporated for 110,000 and began business with a paid up capital of $5 000. It was founded by the Farmers' National Bank of Tulsa, Indian Territory and the first board of directors consisted of the following:
L. D. Marr, president; S. W. Marr, vice president; M. L. Fife, cashier; Ren Marr was also assistant cashier. On March 13, 1904, an attempt was made to rob the bank, but the robbers got nothing and the confidence of the people was so great no run was made on the bank and it never lost an hour.
Page 6, Column 2
In July, 1903, this bank changed owners and the board was composed of the following persons: C. B. Hill, president; J. W. S. Bower, vice president; W. P. Fraker, cashier, and E. B. Baxter and L. D. Marr, members. With the change in stockholders came also a change in capital stock, this being changed in May, 1904, from $10,000 to $25,000, and also being fully paid.
As time passed along It became apparent to the stockholders that a new and more modern home was a necessity. Accordingly in the autumn of 1904 the old building was moved from its foundation and a contract awarded for the erection of the handsome two-story brick, an exterior view of which we take great pleasure in presenting herewith. The real estate, furniture and fixtures at this time are valued at $11,000 and include, in addition to every other up-to-date appliances, a modern screw door Mosler fire and burglar-proof safe.
The board of directors for 1905 consisted of Len Laws, president; J. W. S. Bower, vice president; W. P. Fraker, cashier; C. B. Hill and Dr. J. N. Shippey, members.
The management of this institution, which is so valuable to the community, has always been conservative and careful, and this accounts in a large measure for its signal success and for its strong standing in the community and among other institutions of its kind.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]