[an error occurred while processing this directive]

The Broken Arrow Ledger
Broken Arrow, Indian Territory. (Tulsa Co, OK)
Vol 4 No 12
July 12, 1906 (Part 6)

Abstracted / Transcribed by Linda Haas Davenport

This issue is a special promotional issue, promoting the town of Broken Arrow. The photos are very dark. I don't know it if is possible to clean them up enough to post them in the Photo Gallery.
When the print is so faded that it cannot be read <.....> will be used . All transcription will be as found in the paper, misspellings and all

Honor on the Web

None of these newspaper abstracts are free for the taking. Read Terms of Use.

Dividing Line

Page 5 Column 1

<Photo Arkansas Valley National Bank - Exterior View. Spans columns 1 & 2)

ARKANSAS VALLEY NATIONAL BANK. One of the New and Substantial Business Institutions of Broken Arrow.

While it is essentially true that each of the numerous and substantial business institutions of Broken Arrow is really a "new" one, owing to the fact that the town is itself a new one, it is none the less true that some of them are newer than others. Among this latter class may be placed the Arkansas Valley National Bank. This institution is the last financial house to be established, opening for business early in 1905 in cramped quarters, which were occupied until the handsome new brick home was completed and ready for occupancy during the summer. The new structure is of quaint Spanish mission style of architecture, and completely appointed, inside and out, with every modern improvement.

It has been said that Indian Territory is the young man's country, owing to the unusually large number of young men engaged in the various business enterprises. This being true, it is mete that this bank is owned and operated by men who are young in years, although well advanced in business life.

Page 5, Column 2

The board of directors is composed of the following well-known and energetic young men: J. F. Darby, president; W. S. Fears, vice president; Guy Bowman, cashier; K. M. Rowe, assistant cashier, and I. B. Lumpkln, director.

It is with much pride and gratification that we are enabled to present to our readers a half-tone of the exterior of this business institution, which will show the style of architecture, and an Interior view, which will in a measure illustrate the interior appointments.

The Arkansas Valley National Bank was chartered with a capital stock of $25,000, which is already fully paid. It is managed by young men of much ability and proven business judgment, who recognize that they are there to treat people courteously and honorably, as well as to loan them money or receive deposits.

They are engaged in no speculative enterprises, but in connection with their banking business they also supervise the Security Abstract Company, which has offices in this bank and has the only set of abstract books in Broken Arrow, and the Arkansas Valley Townsite Company also has offices in this bank and is under their supervision.

<Photo spanning columns 1 & 2 - Arkansas Valley National Bank - Interior View>

Page 5, Column 1

FARMERS' TRADING COMPANY. No better index to the marvelous, steady growth of this Indian Territory country can be found than is presented by the consideration of the ever-increasing volume of business done by some of the now large mercantile establishments. A fine illustration of is fact is to be found in a glance at the history of what is now the well-known and popular Farmers' Trading Company - whose big department store is in three adjacent buildings on Commercial avenue. The present company was incorporated January 16, 1905, with the following as officers:

President, S E Orcutt; Vice-President, W C Adkinson; Secretary and Treasurer, S L Hershberger.

It may be said the foundation of the large business now done by this prominent house was laid in the fall of 1902 in the establishment of the Hill Mercantile Company, inaugurated by S E Orcutt. With only $3,500 capital that house built up a business that aggregated a little over $12,000 per annum. As infusion of new vitality and strength into this company found it reorganized under the style of Orcutt & Adkinson, with a capital of only $5,000 and doing a business of something over $20,000 a year. The thrifty growth of this house then attracted the attention of S L Hershberger and John Evatt, and upon the coming into the concern it was again reorganized and was incorporated under its present name with a paid up capital stock of $17,500, on January 16, 1905, and has handled a volume of business for this year that is right around the $60,000

Page 5, Column 2

mark. Such is, in brief, the history of the growth of this solid and widely known department house, maintaining its business all the while in the three houses yet occupied by them, and during all the time under the general supervision of its present president, S E Orcutt, fuller personal mention and a half-tone engraving of whom is given elsewhere in this publication.

Vice-President W C Adkinson is formerly of Waldron, Ark., and had previously some half dozen years of business experience when in 1903 he came into the company. Mr. Adkinson, with his family, lives on Broadway, is a highly esteemed member of the Masonic fraternity and has made a large circle of friends and acquaintances here and is an acknowledged factor in the progress of his house and in the work of helping to build up the town.

S L Hershberger, the secretary and treasurer, is a native of Salem, VA., and spent many years in the railway service, having filled responsible positions with the Ft. Scott & Memphis, Missouri Pacific, Texas & Pacific and then 12 years with the M.K.&T. A business man of fine training and experience, Hr Hershberger brings to the service of his company abilities that mean much in helping to shape the future success of this large house. Mr Hershberger's residence is on Commercial avenue. Antyhing pertaining to the good and the growth of the city always receives the consideration and support of this wide-awake and earnest business man.

The new home of this big concern is now in the process of construction. It

Page 5, Column 3

is to be a brick structure, 50 feet by 100 feet deep, front of pressed brick and plate glass, modern and up-to-date in all of its appointments and fixtures. This building will be a noticable ornament to Commercial avenue and the future of this big, solid commercial enterprise is bright with promise of a splendid success. In their spacious new building and with the increased capital stock, the scope of the business of the Farmers' Trading company will show that ever-increasing importance in the business life of the town, which so large and solid a house will always win.

F. W. BRALY Conspicuous among the newer class of business men in Broken Arrow, Mr. F. W. Braly stands well to the forefront. Born on a farm in Clay county, Missouri, he grew to manhood, strong, sturdy and honorable, amid the surroundings which afford such a golden opportunity for the communion with nature by which every farm lad is surrounded. Here he learned the lesson of hard manual labor in summer time and enjoyed the advantages of the district school during the winter months, in each of which he played well his part.

About twenty years since he decided to engage in mercantile pursuits and moved to his home town of Liberty, where he first engaged in business, which he managed successfully for several years. As evidence of his success and honorable dealings he has unusually strong recommendations from the First National Bank of Liberty and from the various wholesale grocery houses of Kansas City with which he transacted business during the years he spent in Liberty.

Thinking there were better opportunities afforded the early business settler in Indian Territory he decided to change location and moved to Broken Arrow in April, 1905, where, in June following, he opened the well known "Variety Store," and has since conducted the business with such affability as to build up a constantly increasing trade. Mr. Braly is thoroughly reliable and his word is always given in honor in any business transaction.

SHAW'S CAFE. In every town, no matter whether new or old, there is perhaps no other one business institution more freely patronized than the eating house. Here rich and poor meet in genuine cosmopolitan manner. Although Broken Arrow has several cafes and restaurants, Shaw's Cafe is the oldest in the city, and as good as can be found in any city with a population many times as great as this. J. W. Shaw and L C. Reynolds are the proprietors and neither of these gentlemen spare any pains to furnish the best of everything the market affords and to please the large patronage which the house enjoys. They have a thoroughly competent cook and all their assistants are courteous and obliging alike to all. In addition to their meals and short orders they carry a full line of confectionery, tobacco and cigars and own and operate a bakery, which is in charge at all times of an expert baker. This house is deservedly popular with our people.

S. D. DOUGLASS. After fourteen years experience in the Jewelry business, Mr. S. D. Douglass is still a young man in point of years, though well advanced from a professional point of view. In the First Sate Bank building he has his handsome and well stocked jewelry store, where he is always prepared to supply the wishes of his patrons whether in the jewelry or watch or clock repairing line.

  

Next Page/Issu

BA Ledger Index

Newspaper Index

Tulsa Site

Haas Home Page

[an error occurred while processing this directive]