The Broken Arrow Ledger
Broken Arrow, Indian Territory. (Tulsa Co, OK)
Vol 4 No 12
July 12, 1906 (Part 5)
Abstracted / Transcribed byLinda Haas Davenport
This issue is a special promotional issue, promoting the town of Broken Arrow. The photos are very dark. I don't know it if is possible to clean them up enough to post them in the Photo Gallery.
Page 2 Column 1
<photo spanning column 1 & 2 - Interior View of Nebling & Bell's Store - too dark to tell anything about it>
NEIBLING & BELL.Dry,Good, Clothing, Shoes and Millinery.
To the eye of the stranger in a town there is no better and surer index to the general intelligence and culture of its people than that which is to be found in the various business houses of the place. As an illustration of this idea it may be safely said that an establishment like that of Neibling & Bell is an impossibility in a crude, frontier town where modern ideas and the newest styles are unknown and where that indefinable something which we call culture has not been brought in by the people who make up the community. The elegance, the extent and the tasteful display of fabrics, notions and millinery creations that fill the shelves, show cases and counters of Neibling & Bell's city-like establishment, is a distinct compliment to the people of Broken Arrow and surrounding country; and a glance at what is here to be seen gives to the mind of the inquiring stranger a more vivid and accurate impression of the tastes and refinement of the people who must be their customers, than a column of cold, leaden type could convey. This firm is housed in a modern two-story brick structure, a half-tone engraving of the interior of which is given herewith. It is 115 feet deep with a 25-foot front, pressed brick and plate glass, on Main Street and an entrance on Commercial avenue leading into the establishment and handsome millinery department.
<Photo E T Neibling>
The personnel of this conspicuous firm, is made up of Mr. E. T. Neibling, formerly of Hiawatha, Kan., and Mr. H. E. Bell, originally from Nevada, Ia., both of whom, with their families, reside here, the former on West Broadway and the latter on Avenue D. These gentlemen are among the early comers to the town, having begun business here on June 1, 1903. Each has to his credit more than a dozen years of successful business experience, and enjoys here the highest esteem and confidence of his fellow townsmen.
<Photo H E Bell>
Page 2, column 2
SPRAGUE & PARKER. Hardware, Harness and Tinware.
In writing about the notable stores of Broken Arrow the work would be decidedly incomplete without some allusion to the large hardware establishment of Sprague & Parker, located on the west side of Main street in a handsome brick structure, plate glass front, with a depth of about 100 feet. The shelves reaching up to the high ceiling are crowded with hardware of all kinds, while the handsome show cases display extensive varieties of cutlery and sundries comprising that endless array of useful things to be found in a modern, up-to-date hardware store. The impression is a pleasing one that is made on the mind of the stranger, on entering this widely-known house.
Mr. William Sprague, the head of the firm, is from near Kalamazoo,
<Photos of G H Foster, Editor Ledger and Mrs G H Foster, Associate Editor>
Mich., and came here in the fall of 1901. To, Mr. Sprague belongs the credit and the unique distinction of having erected the first dwelling to be occupied in this growing little city, now so noticeably distinguished from most territorial towns in regard to its attractive and comfortable homes. Mr. Sprague, with his family resides on West Broadway, near where he first erected a residence.
Mr. J. N. Parker, the other member of this firm is from Washington county, Kansas, coming to Broken Arrow also in October, 1902, when the firm of Sprague & Parker was formed. Mr. Parker's residence is in the north part of town. Mr. Parker got the first quitclaim deed ever made to property in the town and made up the first mail that went out from Broken Arrow. Experienced in business, upright and fair in their dealings, progressive and public-spirited, these two gentlemen have been uniformly successful in their business which has shown a steady, healthy growth, keeping pace with the rapid development of the country. Enjoying the full confidence of the community. Messrs. Sprague & Parker are numbered among those who are making Broken Arrow notable among the little cities of the plains.
GARRETT BROTHERS. Harness, Saddles, Saddlery Hardware, Whips, Blankets, Robes, Etc.<spans column 2 & 3>
Caparisons cut considerable ice in the southwest country, where the horse is so large a factor in the daily life and activities of the people. Especially are superb saddles, splendid bridles and elegant harness in constant and steady demand. In order to please the exacting taste of the horsemen it requires consummate skill and perfect workmanship on the part of the saddler and the harness maker. These requirements are most admirably met here by Garrett Bros., manufacturers and dealers in harness and saddles, saddlery hardware, whips, robes and blankets.
These gentlemen are originally from Garrett's Bluff, Lamar county, Texas, but have been a number of years in the territory. In September, 1903, they opened their house here and have built up a splendid business. Finely skilled in their trade, with a number of years experience, their work gives the best of satisfaction. During the two years in business here these gentlemen have made a large circle of friends and acquaintances, and have the proud satisfaction of seeing their business grow into proportions that are highly satisfactory. Those who want the best in this line of goods come to this now well-known house to supply their want., rather than take chances on the machine-made goods of inferior grade.
Page 2, Column 3
KNIGHT & WILLIAMS BROS. General Merchandise.
Conspicuous among the large, solid and substantial business houses of the place is that of Knight & Williams Bros. Like most big business enterprises in this southwest country this now well-known house is, in growth, an evolution from a small and humble beginning. At Elam, a settlement five miles southwest of Broken Arrow, Messrs. Williams Brothers began business in 1901. Here they had built a commodious store house in which they continued business until 1903, by which time they had secured for themselves a splendid trade. The idea of removing their establishment to a point on the railroad struck them as a wise move, and the unique result was that the big store house was rolled five miles across the prairie to this place, having been removed in two sections. Both of these gentlemen had residences at Elam, and with the pluck and energy characteristic of them they presented again the novel sight of two more buildings being transported across the country, to this place, and these structures are now comfortable homes occupied by the families of these well known business men.
Mr. R. T. Knight is president of the Citizen's Bank of Harrison, Ark., and is a large stockholder in the big Ratcliff, Sanders Grocery Co. of Tulsa, I.T.
Among the business houses of Broken Arrow there is none that stands better than this popular house.
THE DIX ELEVAT0R.
The Stevens & Scott Grain Company of Wichita, Kan., recently erected a neat and attractive elevator on the right-of-way where the track crosses Main street. John A. Dix is the local manager. A solicitor for this paper urged that this company insert a cut of its building as the other elevators did, but being unable to secure it and not feeling able to bear the expense ourselves, we regret very much to state that we are unable to present an illustration of it.
No writeup of Broken Arrow would approach completeness without mention being made of our extensive, expensive and very desirable telephone exchange. It is under the management of Frank McGuire, who devotes his time assiduously to the business. There are about two hundred local phones in operation and toll lines running to Fry, Wear and Evans, besides the connection with the long distance phones over which local patrons may remain in their offices or residences and talk with people at any surrounding town or anywhere else that a conversation can be carried on.
One of the Large Enterprises of Broken Arrow.
Page 2, column 4
<Photo of Dickason Goodman Lumber Co - spans columns 4 & 5>
DICKASON-GOODMAN LUMBER CO.One of the Large Enterprises of Broken Arrow. <spans columns 4 & 5>
The most valuable and necessary class of co-workers that the townbuilders have in this new southwest is to be found among the large reliable lumber dealers. In this respect Broken Arrow is particularly fortunate. As evidencing what we have here, the Ledger takes great pleasure in presenting in this illustrated edition a half-tone reproduction from a photograph of the offices and yards of the Dickason Goodman Lumber Company. This extensively and favorably known lumber house, with main office in Kansas City, operates in the states of Missouri and Kansas, and in Oklahoma and Indian Territories. With some half dozen branch houses in this Territory, the one here at Broken Arrow is a most successful and extensive one. one. This company, handling all kinds of lumber and the various building materia1s, and making purchases for their numerous houses in such vast quantities, the contractor and the home builder find it especially desirable and satisfactory to do business with this company.
The house is especially fortunate in having here a local manager of large experience and training in the line of business-Mr. B. D. Shrewsbury, formerly of Lathrop, Mo. Mr. Shrewsbury's uniform courtesy, faithful attentlon to business and fair and square dealing with all classes of our people, have commended him most highly to the general public and he has made for himself and his house a host of friends during the year and more in which he has been managing the business here.
This old, reliable house is constantly increasing its volume of business, as the town grows and the country, round about, is developed.
DR. SAM E. ORCUTT<spans column 4 & 5>
It is a matter of deep human interest to note and study the courage, the faith and the sterling manhood which have made the Indian Territory a marvel in rapid growth and development. In every community, where the progress has been so notable, there are individuals who illustrate these qualities and virtues. In the thriving, attractive town if Broken Arrow one of the men who has exhibited these characteristics to an unusual degree is Dr. Sam E. Orcutt
O fine old Kentucky lineage, having been born in Lewis county in that state in 1855, Dr. Orcutt came to the southwest in his young manhood, accompanied by his equally widely known brother, Col. A. D. Orcutt, who is one of the leading spirits in the near-by city of Coweta.
These young men found in that day, in the early 70's, only a few scattered whites among the Indians here. With the high spirits of youth and blessed with unusual geniality of nature, the two Orcutts soon found themselves on terms of excellent friendship and intercourse with the Creek people. Often they found themselves joining their red brothers in the chase, or digging in the heavy fantastic toe in the stomp dance-being the only whites that were present.
Ever since those early days, Dr. Orcutt has found it easy and pleasant to acquaint himself with the citizens, and it is safe to say that there are exceedingly few men in this section of the Creek Nation who know as many people as he does, and there is none more highly esteemed by them. Knowing the original citizens, it was easy to keep trace of newcomers. These facts laid the foundation for a business career that was so inviting that Dr. Orcutt laid aside his doctor's saddle-bags and turned his attention to commercial affairs. The Farmers' Trading Company is the evolution- the natural outcome of his labors along business lines - something of the history and standing of this company is to be found elsewhere in these columns.
Of a genial, sunshiny disposition, strong individuality of character, profoundly interested in the future of the town and country, Dr. Orcutt, is a most useful and valuable citizen, and is destined to e of far greater usefulness in the days to come, in helping to direct the distiny of this section of the new country.
<Photo Dr Same E Orcutt>
On Commercial avenue, in a commodious and comfortable home, a picture of which is given herein, Dr. Orcutt resides with his interesting family - with a pleasant home in one of the most beautiful towns of the territory, a fine and growing business, enjoying the fullest confidence and esteem of his fellow citizens - it seems that Dr. Sam E. Orcutt's life should be a singularly useful and happy one.
<Photo of Residence of Dr S E Orcutt>
[an error occurred while processing this directive]