The Broken Arrow Ledger
Broken Arrow, Indian Territory. (Tulsa Co, OK)
Vol 4 No 12
July 12, 1906 (Part 3)
Abstracted / Transcribed byLinda Haas Davenport
This issue is a special promotional issue, promoting the town of Broken Arrow. The photos are very dark. I don't know it if is possible to clean them up enough to post them in the Photo Gallery.
Page 1 Column 5
NEW RECORDING LINESWe desire to call the attention of our readers living in townships 17, 18 and 19 Range 14, that all instruments affecting your property, both real and personal, should hereafter be filed for record in Tulsa instead of Wagoner.
A SERIOUS FALL Mr Davidson, living south of town, was painfully hurt last Saturday afternoon by falling from the top of a load of sheaf oats which he was unloading at the City Livery Barn, caused by the team giving a sudden start. He was unconscious for several hours and an ugly gash cut on the head which had to be sewed up by the attending physician. It was thought at first that Mr Davidson was fatally hurt but he is now recovering nicely.
A PAINFUL INJURY Little Vera Horton, a niece of Prof Horton's, had the misfortune to run a needle into her foot while playing at her home in Tulsa. It went so far in that the doctors could not locate it so her parens brought her to this city that an X-Ray machine might be applied, which was done and the needle located. An operation followed which was unsuccessful and the little one still suffers. Her father, J E Horton came down Sunday. If the pain does not cease another operation will follow. The little one suffers intensely.
GRAND ARMY ORGANIZED The old soldiers of Broken Arrow and vicinity effected a permanent, G.A.R. organization last Saturday afternoon with 21 members. Commander J F Ayers and Adjutant Hardesty were here from Tulsa and assisted in the work of organizing.
Following is a complete list of the first officers elected:
Commander, W C Ricketts
Sr Vice Commander, H L Pierce
Jr Vice Commander, Peter Wilhour
Quarter Master, W R Sullivan
Adjutant, I H Buttrick
Officer of the Day, Luther Van Fleet
Chaplain, Rev John Tenny
Office of the Guard, S C Hopper
Quarter Master Surgeon, P Roberts
Guard, W L Lacy
Sergeant Major, W H Booth
The number of the post is 41 and the regular meetings will be held on the first Saturday of each month at 2 p.m.
THE INDIAN BALL TEAM Hon Roley McIntosh was mighty proud of his Indian ball team which he brought up from Eufaula last Thursday to play our boys, and well might he be proud of them for besides being fine examples of young manhood, they were beyond all doubt the best ball team ever yon our diamond.
Following are the names: David, Henry, N. and T. McIntosh. George Hubble, S and Frank Carr, T Deere and H Burch.
The first day, the game was hotly contested, but the Red Men of the Forest were too much for our boys who went down in defeat by a score of 2 to 6. Our boys hoped to make it a draw by winning on Friday but the ground once lost could not be regained, for the score stood at 2 to 8 in favor of the Indian boys.
For his fine playing, Dan Childers presented Henry McIntosh with a 2.50 glove. On Friday evening the boys led by their gallant old chieftain boarded the train for their home, carrying the kindest regards of our people.
Page 3, column 1
<photo Hotel Kentucky Colonel spanning column 1 & 2>
KENTUCKY COLONELThe hotel accommodations of Broken Arrow are noticeably ample and satisfactory - a fact which is not always the case in the rapidly growing towns of the Southwest. There are four hotels, the leading one being the Kentucky Colonel. This excellent hostelry, a half-tone engraving of which is given herewith, is under the very efficient management of Mrs Vena Hunsecker, formerly of Morris, Ill: having been engaged in the hotel business at Enid, Sapulpa and Mounds, Mrs Hunsecker has had experience, which accounts largely for the splendid satisfaction of the guests of this hotel. There is, pervading this house, an atmosphere of genuine, cordial hospitality, suggestive of that for which the blue grass region of Kentucky is so celebrated, and it is but natural that this hotel is popular.
The structure is handsome, well constructed and attractively finished containing numerous large, airy rooms, and is most conveniently planned for a hotel. Owing to the fact that the owner, Col Gist, has business interests elsewhere which demand his presence, this valuable property is for sale and offers an opportunity for investment in a well established business in a most progressive and up-to-date little city.
HOTEL CENTRAL Located in the central part of the city, on the east side of Main street is the Central Hotel, which is under the management of Mr F N Dickerhoof, a native of Ohio, a reproduction of whose photograph is given herewith. More recently Mr Dickerhoof resided at Emporia, Kan., from which point he came to this city a little more than a year since. The Central is a comfortable and well kept hotel, with rates at $1 and $1.25 per day. Special rates by the week. Mr Dickerhoof opened up for business on March 1, 1905, and has enjoyed an excellent business from the very first, the house steadily growing in popularity.
THE SIMMONS HOUSE This well-known and popular hostelry
<photo - Missouri, Kansas & Texas Depot spans column 1 & 2>
Page 3, column 2
Was the very first institution of its kind to be located in Broken Arrow. It is centrally located on the west side of Main street but half a block from the business center of the city, J S Simmons was the founder and is the present proprietor, and a more honorable and obliging landlord could not well be found anywhere. This is a popular priced house and everything is kept neat and wholesome throughout the entire house.
THE COTTAGE HOUSE This hotel was one of the early established eating houses of the city. At this time, J T Simmons is the proprietor. It is a popular priced house, well and hospitably kept, centrally located, and well patronized.
I M THOMPSON The first business house, other than a frame one, that was ever erected in Broken Arrow, was a large, two-story stone structure belonging to and occupied by I M Thompson with his stock of general merchandise. Mr Thompson showed his faith in the town while it was yet in its infancy and as soon as the building was completed he filled it with a stock of general merchandise.
KATY DEPOT Through the courtesy of W J Sullivan, local agent for the Kathy Railroad, we are enabled to present herewith a half-tone of the depot, together with Agent Sullivan and his assistants. Mr Sullivan has been in the railroad business about twenty years, during which time he has filled the position of commercial agent for the Iron Mountain, agent for the Choctaw at Oklahoma City, and traveling passenger agent for the Midland Valley. He came to Broken Arrow November 10, 1904, and without doubt has been the most popular and best all-around agent the company has ever had here. This office has found Mr Sullivan especially courteous and obliging at all times. It is also due to the courtesy of Mr Sullivan that we are enabled to present to our readers a brief review of the business done at Broken Arrow during 1905, which is as follows:
From our extensive coal mines just east of town, owned and operated by the Wear Coal Company and managed by J H Calvin, has been shipped 980 cars aggregating 39,000 tons. This coal is sold at the mines to our people for $2.00 per ton.
Of cotton, hay and live stock shipped out the aggregate number of cars was 125.
Mr Sullivan received in cash on freight unloaded here the sum of $36,000 and 400 cars of freight were received and distributed from this point. By adding the above figures you have a total of 1,505 carloads handled. The money received from sales of
Page 3, Column 3
tickets was $11,000 and the American Express Company collected $4,200 express charges.
The total business done was more than double that of 1904.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]